Discover the benefits of active manuka honey
Discover the benefits of active manuka honey
Discover the potential of Active Manuka Honey, a gold elixir produced in New Zealand and Australia. Now you might wonder why manuka honey is so special, well the bees, which produce manuka honey visit only the flowers of the manuka bush, also called tea tree or jellybush. It is richer and darker than regular honey and has a distinct flavor, also has a thick consistency and is difficult to spread.
The unique properties of Active Manuka Honey
Manuka honey usually has a Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) rating on the package which means it has been tested for antibacterial activity, this is similar to the SPF number you'd see on sunscreens - the higher the UMF the greater the antibacterial effects.
The Unique Properties Of Active Manuka Honey
Honey is a very nutritious food and is resistant to bacteria, but the antibacterial effect of manuka honey is far superior to other types of honey. These type of honey is expensive because it is made by bees that visit only the manuka flowers. The blooming period of these flowers is less than two months in a year which makes this product so valuable.
Besides hydrogen peroxide that is responsible for the antibacterial properties of honey, manuka honey contains additional ingredients that give it a strong antibiotic effect when used externally. The main antibacterial ingredient in manuka honey is MG (methylglyoxal). The high concentration of this substance in this honey is in turn due to a compound called dihyroxyacetone, which is present in the nectar of manuka flowers in high concentrations.
Another fantastic benefits of manuka honey is that stays preserved and it's antibiotic effect is not lost with age or exposure to moderate heat, unlike most other types of antibiotics, there is no risk of developing resistance even with prolonged use. It is considered effective against bacteria that cause peptic ulcers, wound infections and sore throats.
You can add a teaspoon of manuka honey in tea when you have a cold or flu and your immune system will rebuild it's balance, do not exceed daily intake of manuka honey, and specialists advice to treat is same as sugar consumption.
How can you use Manuka Honey?
What is Manuka Honey used for?
Manuka honey can be used for:
1. Soothing stomach irritation, acidity and bloating. It is also used to help in the treatment of ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome. It can be taken alone or can be mixed with juices, tea, milk or hot water.
2. Manka honey helps you stay younger, It is an antioxidant and is a good tonic that can be taken regularly.
3. Preventing infection in wounds, boils, burns, and skin conditions like eczema, acne( is well known that honey, in general, is helping fight acne, so you should apply gently on skin and leave it for 10 minutes, then wash it with warm water, it will do wonders to your skin)
4. Soothing and curing sore throats and boost immunity.
5. Increasing energy levels. It is rich in sugars and can boost energy levels. It is better to take it with cereal or whole wheat bread to prevent a rapid rise and fall in blood sugar.
6. Balances low stomach acid, acid reflux
7. Manuka honey can is used in many high-quality cosmetics.
Check out this fantastic skin care products which contain Active Manuka Honey: Click on photo to shop for manuka honey body scrub.
Natural Manuka Honey & Argan Oil Body Scrub
How to recognize genuine Active Manuka Honey
As any other honey Manuka honey contains four times more of the following minerals:
Amino acids, B vitamins (B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid), Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc.
How to recognize genuine Active Manuka Honey:
It will have a UMF trademark clearly labeled on the front of the container.
It will be from a New Zealand UMF licensed company and labeled in New Zealand.
On the label should state clearly the Active Rating which ranges from 5+ to 340, if there is nowhere showing this information, is most likely not manuka honey.
Where can you buy Active Manuka Honey?
You can buy genuine active manuka honey from licensed stores, from online retailers, as long as the product is labeled properly with the correct information. Stores like Holland and Barret, Amazon, eBay, all of them they sell some well known branded Manuka Honey. Usually, the price is very high, so if you see a seller advertising Manuka Honey cheaper, is most likely normal honey, sold under the Active Manuka Honey label.
There is no doubt that Manuka honey is so effective.
Research conducted in Australia confirms the antibacterial action of this precious honey. In a study, it managed to kill different types of bacteria including antibiotic resistant superbugs. It can thus fight infection and speed up healing.
Its use is permitted by the National Health Service in the UK for dressing wounds and for medicinal creams since 2004. Its use is also allowed in some countries for reducing inflammation in the oesophagus for people taking chemotherapy.
Side effects of Manuka Honey and
- Honey is not recommended for children below 1 year of age.
- Due to its high sugar content, people suffering from diabetes should limit its use.
- There are some allergy possibilities.
- People who follow chemotherapy should ask doctor advice before they use it.
- A stinging sensation is possible when applying it to wounds. This is normal, but it should be used with care on sensitive skins.
- Excessive intake of honey may lead to weight gain.
Hope you like this article and let me know if you try Manuka Honey by dropping a comment below.